So Netflix has just launched in Norway, and i have finally had some time to test it, get used to it, and simply enjoy some movies.
- The interface has been tested in the US and is well used, to big stability issues to get it working.
- As a Spotify user, i get it for free out 2012. So i get some time to make up my mind.
- When i have seen some movies, Netflix starts to suggest other movies within the same genres, pretty nice when i “just want a film”. 🙂
- When the movie is over and the credits starts showing, Netflix starts to suggest other movies “inside” the movie, a small nice little feature.
- And not least ,i can actually watch as many movies that i want, for a reasonably price, and without having to buy it, rent it, wait for it to arrive, and so on.
- Apparently, many movies comes with subtext hard-coded into the movie, pretty annoying when you actually do not want to have it. I have all though not noticed this on the movies i have tested.
- When the recommendations algorithm used in Netflix don`t know anything about you, you can get some rather strange results. Like getting up many cartoon movies when you have not selected anything related to cartoons. This might also be related to the fact that Netflix Norway still do not have too big of a collection.
- The search engine appears to just make up results. As an example, i searched for “Hairspray“, a feel good musical. The results did not contain this movie, but instead i got a Norwegian movie named “Varg Veum” up, which is a drama/action movie. Totally irrelevant!
- There will some times be lag in the movies, which is very irritating. I hope this will become less frequent as the system gets more mature in Scandinavia. At least i do not expect my internet connection to be the issue, as this is a 50/10 VDSL line.
I am not totally convinced that i should give up my hobbies(like having fun on Team Fortress 2, playing on >casinos etc) for Netflix just now, but if they actually start to get more fresh content into the system. Then i will have a hard time keeping myself away! 🙂